Saturday, July 30, 2011

In the Eyes of a Child

I can remember many trips I went on when I was little and each one has a unique feature that makes it stand out in my memory.  I took both my first and second airplane rides in the same year, when I was in kindergarten.  The flight to New Jersey for my aunt’s wedding will be forever ingrained in my mind for its truly amazing display of turbulence.  While being served our sandwiches and pops as we were passing through a thunderstorm, the turbulence began with a vengeance.  Sandwiches were launched into the aisles looking much like the Mississippi river looks now with the inundation of flying fish.  My dad happened to lose his Coke on his lap looking quite disgusted with the situation as he remained seat belted in the soggy, sticky mess.  I fell in love with flying after that, even saving the decorative plastic trays our sandwiches were served on as a memento.  J  Yes, I believe this enjoyment of turbulence to be abnormal and I’m ok with that. 
My cousin and I outside ofthe Shoshone Indian Ice Caves
The other flight took us West where we enjoyed time with family in Idaho taking in the Shoshone Indian Ice Caves and traipsing to the top of a mountain of lava and ash-amazing when you contemplate what you’re walking on and the circumstances surrounding its current placement.  Craters of the Moon National Monument is quite the sight to behold even to a six-year-old.  A short drive took us south to Promontory, Utah, where we "experienced" the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad in 1869.  Thankfully I had parents who took my simple curiosity for the past and helped me to seek some understanding for where things stand today in the world.  I can thank them for my love of history, politics, and travel.  J
My brother, mom, and myself Promontory, Utah
Other trips we took as a family didn’t take us as far from home.  Instead, my parents took my brother and I through the picturesque Badlands of southwestern South Dakota and Mount Rushmore near Keystone, South Dakota, in the Black Hills.  The marvel of both locations is fascinating to both adults and children alike.  Who can resist peering across the ragged and yet peaceful natural Badlands and the size and architectural craftsmanship of Gutzon Borglum’s four magnificent stone faces?  But kids enjoy more than just the suggested educational and sightseeing trips so my parents had my brother and I imagining we were part of the Three Little Pigs at Storybook Island in Rapid City, South Dakota, and walking through Oz at Storybook Land in Aberdeen, South Dakota.  The creation of these two parks were a fabulous idea as kids can literally walk into the stories they have before only been able to see in their minds and on the pages of a book.  Now they can recreate those tales as their favorite character.
What do you remember from your trips as a kid?  Was it your first time going tubing at the lake?  Did you fall out of a boat while fishing?  Maybe it was meeting your cousins on their turf for the first time.  Think about what made those trips special, how can you do the same thing for your family now?  Didn’t get to make trips like that when you were younger?  That’s all right.  It’s hard not to have memories that everyone else seems to have, don’t get me wrong, but what can you learn from your own experience?  We all can learn from our pasts and use that knowledge to better the future.  Not able to take a vacation with your family due to lack of time, finances, or something else?  It’s ok.  You don’t have to go somewhere out of town to enjoy time with your family and make special memories with them.  Pack a picnic lunch and head to the neighborhood park, have a water fight, play some games, or take silly pictures.  I can guarantee it’s something your children won’t forget.
Water fightwith some cousins
As children we’re more susceptible to the ideas of our peers and the culture that surrounds us.  Making yourself an active part of your child’s life, even through something as simple as a day trip or picnic, will have a strong and lasting impact on them as they grow up.

*Check out my links page to find more information regarding the locations mentioned.

*I realize that these examples are more for the warm seasons.  With winter being my favorite season, you can rest assured that I’ll fill you in some suggestions for that later.

1 comment:

  1. Ellen, I had wondered what you might have blogged besides the first couple that I read, when you first wrote them. Amazing what things we find, when re-implementing our own blog : ) You were on my favorites list.

    ReplyDelete