Saturday, July 23, 2011

Making the Most

How often do you get that urge to go somewhere—to just get away?  I’ll be the first to admit that once I experienced traveling on my own I’ve had a hard time staying put.  Those who know me well will agree that I have a penchant for staying busy and that includes my travels.  I’ve been blessed by both job and volunteer opportunities that have allowed me to travel across the world as well as just having the desire to see something specific.

There are numerous points rolling around in my head with what I’ve already said so I’ll start with this, take every chance you get to travel.  And I truly mean that.  Visit friends or family you may not get to see frequently, go with your family to spend quality time together, go alone to relax and clear the clutter from your mind, or if you’re willing, volunteer or take a job with a business or organization outside of your area.  Through these opportunities in my own life I’ve had the opportunity to live in Vietnam, New Hampshire, Minnesota, and Austria as well as make short trips to Washington State, California, and Texas.  From those locations I took advantage of my time and traveled to numerous other locations.  Still a little hesitant about where to look?  What about that family vacation to an amusement park?  I had the chance to go to two during my growing up years including Valleyfair in Shakopee, Minnesota (Twin Cities Metro) and Arnold’s Park along Lake Okoboji in Northwestern Iowa.  Not a fan of that many kids? Or maybe like me, it’s the roller coasters.  That’s all right, I completely understand.  Why not stay in a hotel nearby or at the closest larger city (if you’re from a small town) and spend time at the pool, going to local parks, and catching a local sporting event.  I’ve found the atmosphere at the amateur and college level can be more fun and inviting than the professional, not to mention the smaller crowds and cheaper prices.
 
For that trip by yourself-maybe you’d enjoy relaxing at a spa, or wandering the halls of art or history museums, or the quiet of a cabin in the woods with a good book to keep you company.  State tourism websites or historical societies are a great source of information when planning where to go and locals are great at helping you find spots once you're there.   There are a lot of fun historical places that can get missed and these are great ways to find them.  Be sure to do something that will be fun and help you relax.  Not everyone is comfortable traveling alone.  If that’s the case for you don’t fret, you’re not alone.  Instead, take a good friend or your significant other along.  Maybe you can wear the soles off of your shoes at a mall or pass time camping in the foothills of the Rockies with the hopes of catching that trophy fish.

Don’t worry, I didn’t forget about you adventurous ones.  There are so many options out there for you.  Initially, I thought this would be the most difficult travel bug to satisfy for myself because of the need for something exotic, challenging, and longer in duration.  Instead I found myself embracing opportunities of varying kinds and styles.  *I’ll take the risk of losing some of you by stating that my beliefs and stance as a Christian have largely influenced what I’ve chosen to do and it is a part of my everyday life and thus will be a part of my writing though not the focus of it.* I want to help people whether its spiritually, emotionally, or physically—through the tangible and the intangible.  You can teach the English language or business classes overseas, there are many organizations located across the globe searching for both young and old willing to make such a commitment.  I had the privilege of teaching English to high school students in Vietnam.  You can volunteer with a relief organization; I respond to needs through my local chapter of the American Red Cross and when I’m able, go when called for national disasters.  Maybe you love children—consider being a nanny or an au pair.  I got to care for three children in Austria.  It can be a great mix of challenging and growing experiences and fun and excitement.   There are other obvious organizations such as the Peace Corp, Job Corp, AmeriCorp, or numerous missions organizations who would gladly love to have people join alongside them or help you find work somewhere.  And I’ve even known a few acquaintances that chose the option of the military-note that this decision takes special consideration for those of strong character, determination, and drive.

Whatever it is that your travel bug is craving, and maybe it’s just travel in general, there is always an option for you.  Next time I’ll break these down a little further and share some stories from my experiences that have led me to believe as I do about traveling and how important it is.

**To those serving in the National Guard, Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard; to those at our boarders and in our hometowns, thank you for your decision and commitment to serve-whatever your reason may be.  We are blessed to have you.

1 comment:

  1. Ellen, what a fabulous post. I do know your 'travel bug' I have been infected by it myself. Now just wish that I could figure out a means by which we could infect your dad! Perhaps you could slip a 'needle' with 0.1 mg of infectant under his skin while he sleeps some night. I look forward to further posts from you, and perhaps somewhere along your Prairie Trail making another adventure with you. I can think of all sorts of possibilities. Love you, Aunt Linda still Dancing in the Middle.

    ReplyDelete